Wednesday 10 September 2014

TEEN QUEENS #2 - PETRA COLLINS


Sooo it's been some time since I've written for teen grrrrl - I've been busy exploring america and running around London with my friends screaming horrors lyrics. Today is Wednesday, meaning it's your fav time of the week, TEEN QUEENS. This week I'll be raving about the heavenly Petra Collins.


Petra's a crazy talented Canadian photographer. Riding on the new wave of internet feminism that's inspiring cute girls everywhere, her work basically embraces all that it is to be a teenager. She documents periods, heart throbs, graduation, gigs, masturbation and more, using a rose tinted lens and heaps of glitter. Everywhere. Rookie Magazine was practically co-founded by her, and her models have included Grimes, Lily Cole and Michael Bailey-Gates.

Sadly, there's always going to be someone out there who has to ruin beautiful things. This was proved when her Instagram account was deleted last year due to a 'graphic' picture of… wait for it… her PUBIC HAIR!!!!!!!!!!! OH HEAVENS SOMETHING NATURAL ON A GIRL THAT MISOGYNISTS CAN'T HANDLE!!! A GIRL ACTUALLY MAKING CHOICES FOR HERSELF ABOUT HER OWN BODY HOT DAMN!!!!


petra and i, shortly before i burst into tears
I actually had the surreal experience of meeting Petra at the launch of the pop-up store 'you & me' in Manhattan last month. She had curated the show and done all the photography for the clothing line, and when she posted the details on Instagram they were met with screams from me as I realised my trip to New York coincided perfectly with it. So I dragged my mom around the silver subway, and she loyally stood outside in the rain for ten minutes while I hung out with Petra, and then looked after me whilst I cried in the drugstore afterwards (the sad thing is that I'm not exaggerating, I was literally shaking for days afterwards.)

Petra's work means a lot to me as I feel it totally embodies everything that I feel, want to feel, or have felt. It's almost impossible to explain, but her photography makes me feel good about being myself and only myself.

Posted by Avalon

No comments:

Post a Comment